Thursday, April 23, 2009

Designer Discovery - William Tempest






Chances are, you have probably never heard of fashion designer William Tempest. No, he wasn’t on Bravo’s Project Runway, no, his clothing hasn’t been featured in a Vogue fashion spread and no, his clothing isn’t available in your local department store. But, the 22 year old fabric artificer has only produced two collections and has since become one of the most sought-after new designers in London.

Tempest recently took part in this years Fashion Fringe program and had his show at London Fashion Week. He was selected for this by a panel including Donatella Versace, Rouland Mouret and Lucinda Chambers (Fashion Director Vogue UK). He garnered a lot of interest in the collection - Dita Von Teese, Emma Watson and Jade Parfait have all requested pieces to wear. The designer’s first collection was featured in The Sunday Times Style, ES magazine and on Vogue.com. With the buzz surrounding Tempest, it seems world wide-wide recognition is just around the corner.

William Tempest grew up intrigued by the arts and knew he wanted to do something creative at a very young age. At first, he dabbled with thoughts of becoming an architect or interior designer. Fashion was another area of interest for artistically inclined adolescent, “I’ve always been interested in different identities and used to really enjoy dressing up when I was younger” said Tempest. “I was fascinated with how garments were made and wanted to learn how to pattern cut and construct them.”

William was raised in the rural country-side of Cheshire – not exactly a fashion Mecca. His trips into the more fashionable city of Manchester as a young lad would be the catalyst that would define his destiny, “I started to look in the department stores and designer shops. I used to enjoy it so much”, said Tempest. “I decided on a career in Fashion when I was 15, it was a natural progression, and I was always interested in art and making things.”

At age 16, Tempest decided to leave high school and enrolled on a BTEC Diploma – a vocational qualifier in the UK – to study fashion design and pattern making. At 18, he moved to London and enrolled in the London College of Fashion, but he already had a two-year head start in design, “I had already been studying fashion for two years since I was 16 so I found the first two years of university relatively easy,” said Tempest. “I think more than anything it was learning to be responsible for myself and to stand on my own two feet”

While in college, Tempest worked under famed London fashion designer Giles Deacon, “I started as an intern but, after 10 weeks I was offered a position as a pattern cutter,” said Tempest. “I think the most valuable thing I learnt is seeing how the business operates and the timing of how it fits together.”

Tempest’s graduate collection was inspired by 1940’s film noir which made a bold statement at “Graduate Fashion Week”, “I was inspired by the drama and glamour of the story lines and the way some scenes are shot with such harsh lightning,” said Tempest. “My graduate collection is where I learnt the most. Mostly learning that making a collection requires so many people to perform well and on time to enable you to reach your deadlines, its things like fabric suppliers, deliveries being made on time, sample machinists etc…” The collection was also selected to be shown at “The Royal Academy of the Arts” and got tons of media attention from the likes of vogue.com, Harpers Bazaar and the BCC London News. It was also shown on stage during the Bryan Ferry performance at the “Concert for Diana” at Wembley Stadium.

Upon graduation, Tempest moved to Paris to work under Jean Charles de Castelbajac. While at Castelbajac he was given a project to design boxing robes and a sports outfit for Madonna which was used in a photo shoot to promote her latest album, “I was working none stop on the project and was constantly between London and Paris each day,” said Tempest. “The most important thing I learnt from jean Charles is to go with what you feel, regardless of any one else opinion, and don't compromise on anything.”

In January 2008, Tempest returned to London to create his own label. He is currently designing and producing his collection for S/S 09. The collection will be shown at 'London Fashion Week' this September, “My initial inspiration was from the great age of travel and I visited Mauritius where I took photographs, some under water, to inspire prints and colors,” said Tempest. “There is a lot of art deco influence in the collection in terms of silhouette and style lines. Look for streamline, razor-sharp and beautifully cut evening-wear.” The clothing is said to be ready-to-wear with a couture edge.

Currently, Tempest’s clothing is produced on a special order basis and the prices reflect the attention to detail which run upwards of $4000.00. The garments from his last collection are made to order and are sold through www.ninaandlola.com - a London based online store.

William Tempest is well on his way to becoming a global success. His clothing is modern, fun and impeccably made. All I can say is watch this designer.
Tony Engelhart
As appeared in Icongrahy Magazine Spring 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment